Monday, March 31, 2008

First brush with what lies ahead

Had my first interaction wid To-Be-Batch-Mates yesterday... and I must confess I am really really lucky to be heading at the right place!!!

Takeaways from yesterdays meet

1) You really need to be with people who have work ex if YOU have work ex... only then you can connect with them very easily... they are your age and they think alike... the maturity factor is reasonably good... One guy was already marrried, one engaged and majority in stable relationship... I am so glad that I wont have to deal wid freshers just out of the college and no real practical knowledge...

2) Diversity... We were 7 of us... And only 2 people wid IT related work ex... One Economist, One Private Equity Analyst, One from International Finance, One from Marketing & Strategy background, and me - from I-banking... Now Extrapolate it to about 30-40 odd ppl from India... (We have already few ppl wid more than 10 years as well)... Again there will similar 1/3rd of the class coming from China.. And remaining 1/3rd from rest of the world!!! Its time to learn about more cultures!!!!

3) Achievers... Its not that these guys were bunch of losers who could not get into Indian Schools... They had calls from premier institutes (Read IIM-K, XLRI, MDI, SPJIMR, ISB)... But they have chose NUS by will and not by compulsion... If GMAT was the benchmark, the median was somewhere close to 710! So they came to NUS again by choice and was not that could not make it to a top U.S. B-School

4) Contribution to the table.... Just a small conversation about loans... I said that lets wait, the interest rates might go down in a few months... The economist quickly counter argued that with inflation so high, the interest rates are not even gonna be touched.... I am just going crazy where will the discussions in the class go!!!!!!

I have come back with lots of positive vibes!!!!! And very much raring to go!!!!! Can hardly wait!!!

2 comments:

Rocker said...

Hi Jaimin,
First of all let me congratulate you for getting an admit in NUS. I am sure you gonna have a great time ahead.
Secondly, I need your suggestion about the material to use for GMAT. I am planning to give GMAT in jun/july. Your valuable input would be of great help.
Regards,
Sajid

Jas said...

Congrats dude!