Saturday, July 26, 2008

Remembering BMS - Service Sector Marketing

In my last year of under graduation, there was this prof called Nitin Mukadam who used to teach us service sector. I was totally in awe of this man who used to cite real life examples and not refer to books at all. I loved the way he taught the subject - and I had taken pains to study this from a foreign author book rather than relying on "reliable" series of Vipul Prakashan. (BMS students will know what I am talking about). This guy taught us "Moments of Truth" - which till date - I use to benchmark the service quality of a company.

So yes, coming back to what happened on the day I was scheduled to leave for Singapore. Jet Airways has much better brand name in India as compared to Air India and yes - the reason is service! So Jet charges you more due to perception and which is why they have to deliver. Although, I paid about Rs.3-4k extra as compared to Air India, I would still be willing to pay that if I could. My experience

1) Luggage allowance -

Officially Allowed - 20kg + 10kg for students + 7kg in hand baggage
Actually Taken by me - 46 kgs + 10 kg in hand baggage
Charges for extra luggage - Rs. 570 per kg
Paid by me - NIL

Out and out my heart went out saying Jet, you are the best!

2) Checking in - Lets say this guy as friendly Jet guy

Me: Hello Sir (Tensed about the extra kilos and constantly calculating how much should I bargain)
FJG: Hello. So you are student?
Me: Yes sir. (Chalo bhaiyya, abhi bolege nikalo paach hazaar)
FJG: Australia?
Me: No singapore. (I hope he allows me, I show him the IPA letter)
FJG: Oh, NUS. This is at Kent ridge.
Me: Yes. You know it. Have you been there. (See 46 kilos on weight, baap re, I thought I was only 10 kgs over weight)
FJG: Couple of times.
Me: How is it? ( Feeling much relaxed that he is not asking about extra weight)
FJG: Its good. You travelling abroad first time?
Me: Yes.
FJG: So how does it feel?
Me: Nervous and excited.
FJG: No need to be nervous. Take it as challenge. All the best!
Me: Thank you sir.
FJG: Here take your boarding pass. I have given you taisle seat so that you can go off the sleep. Just pull the arm rest.
Me: Thanks a lot!!! (Quickly walk away to get some water so that he does not follow me to ask about weight)

Another guy (FJG's assitant) came running behind me coz I had forgotten my book!!! Yes so that was it - no questions asked and for me that was biggest relief!!! But more than that, the friendliness of that guy struck me! So polite and helpful! I regret of not knowing his name otherwise I would have mentioned it in the blog as well as in the flight suggestion sheet. But ya, you stand out as this guy whom I will remember for right reasons.

3) Inflight Service

Had not been thursday, I would have just drank a couple of scotch pegs and fell off the sleep. What a choice of alcoholic drinks!!! Black label and JD - which scotch drinker would not have relished!!!! The food was also looking decent too! The only hitch was that they did not have fruit platter to suit my needs but had I told them earlier, they could have arranged for the same.
And ya, the entertainment options were also quite good. I saw "21" themovie and could have watched another had I not tried going off to sleep. Good selection of music and movies and games as well!

In all, I would rate the service as 8 on 10 - much higher that I would have got by travelling in Air India!

P.S. I heard my colleagues had awful time travelling in Air India and some of the problems included late flight, asking to pay for extra luggage and not so good in flight entertainment options.

No comments: